Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Creative Briefs (5/09/11)

Yesterday in class, we mainly spent our time going over creative briefs. Jimmy read over some of the creative briefs he was able to collect over time from real clients and design firms. He said these creative briefs are like gold, because they’re proprietary information. Creative briefs are almost never given out for whatever reasons from the designer or design firm. This may be because they are trade secrets from the design firm. They don’t want to give away how they do their work. Our previous homework was to create two creative briefs. This was my first time writing a creative brief so I did feel lost when I started writing. So what exactly is a creative brief? Jimmy said that a creative brief is what the designer presents to the client. It is a written document that basically says, “This is what I understand the project to be…” It is what is used to begin a project and it includes what will be going on in the project for example, project size, budget, resources, schedule, deadlines, and what is delivered at the end.

The first creative brief Jimmy read was a rather long brief, about three pages long but it was very detailed and very well wrote and thought out. This brief alone shows how much the designer is willing to invest time and hard work into the project. This brief also had very good use of adjectives, which is also a good tool for designers. To be able to know and use a lot of adjectives will really be beneficial to a designer. Adjectives are very useful when communicating ideas. This brief had specific and important sections addressed: Assignment, Target Audience & Demographics, Brand Positioning, Tone & Character, Desired Outcome, Competitors, Differentiators, and Integrated Marking Strategy. The creative brief was very detailed and to the point and the project turned out to be for a website. When you think of a website, you don’t necessarily think about how much time goes into the website. But hearing all this, it sounds like the outcome is going to be a very impressive and creative website.

As I was writing my briefs, I tried to add the information Jimmy told us to, which is to ask the questions: who, what where, when why, how, how much, how long. The budget part was the only part we didn’t need to add at this time. I also tried to make it as brief as possible, yet to the point. After hearing the creative briefs Jimmy brought to class, I can say that I may have had the correct sections included, but could have expanded a littler more to help clarify the information I was presenting. By just hearing examples of creative briefs in class, it gave me a better idea on how to write a good creative brief. I now know that the overview should be about three sentences long, very straight forward and to the point. I also need to be more detailed, have good use of adjectives to express my idea more clearly, to really show the client how invested I am in creating and working diligently on the project. 


No comments:

Post a Comment