Friday, April 29, 2011

Game Day (4/27/11)

Wednesday’s class was very fun and exciting. I was looking forward to class because it was Game Day. I brought in two games, Trivial Pursuit the Disney Version and Memory the Disney Version. If you can’t already tell, I am a Disney fan.  The first game I played was Uno. A classic card game which I haven’t played in a long time. There were a total of four people who played Uno. We only ended up playing one game because our game seemed to go on forever. Anytime one person got down to one card, they either didn’t have the correct card to move forward or someone threw down a “Draw Two” card or a “Draw Four” card so that they couldn’t get rid of their last card. I didn’t see a theme to Uno, but the process is to try and eliminate your opponent by having them draw up as many cards as possible or skipping their turn with a “Skip” card so that they miss their turn to get rid of one of their cards. I think Uno is a very fun game because I always find myself smiling when I play that game. It’s the fun of having your opponent draw up a lot of cards because the more they have, the less likely they’ll win. Also, you have to sort of be strategic with which cards you throw down. For me, I like to try and hold on to the specialty cards so that I can use them against my opponent when I see that their number of cards is dwindling down to a very small amount. I can then throw out a “Draw Two” which gives me an advantage to try and win the game. But also, this came is more of a chance game because if you don’t have all the given colors, Red, Blue, Yellow and Green, then the probability of you winning is lowered because if the a color is thrown down and you don’t have that color or the same card number, you have to keep picking up cards from the draw pile until you can move. So it’s a back and forth game, you just never know who’s going to win and the game can drag on for a very long time.


The second game I played was Sequence. I have never played that game before Wednesday. It turned out that my other two opponents never played the game before either. So we read the directions and started to play. At first, to me it seemed like a strange game, but as we started playing I got the hang of it and it turned out to be a fun game. It is a board game and card game mashed together. You use a regular deck of cards and each person gets six cards. Then with the game board, you have a specific color marker. Each time you throw down a card, you place your marker on that same card on the board, for example the nine of diamonds. The object of the game is to get five of your markers in a row on the board. Five in a row is considered a Sequence.  So it’s a game of chance yet with strategy as well. You have to carefully place your markers on the board in areas where you’ll be able to connect five of your markers in a row. But you never know which card you’ll pick up which makes winning a game of chance.




Our homework for Monday is to visually create nine games of our own. It sounds very challenging but at the same time fun. It also sounds like a lot of hard work but a challenge is always a good thing. I’ve already started drawing out a few ideas. Some seem good and some already seem bad but it’s a good learning process. Can’t wait to see what I come up with!


No comments:

Post a Comment