Friday, April 22, 2011

EMERGE Closing Reception

On Saturday, April 16, 2011, I was able to go to Otis College of Art and Design on the west side of Los Angeles, for the EMERGE exhibition. It turns out that there were other exhibitions going on that day as well. One area was a very political exhibition called American Icons – Graphics of Patriotism & Dissent and the other was a photography exhibition. Professor Moss mentioned that going to the EMERGE exhibition would be a great experience because there are not very many exhibitions dedicated for graphic designers. This kind of exhibition is a once a year type of event. What I really liked about the event was that all the work displayed was by students from colleges and universities throughout the greater Los Angeles area. The area that they displayed all the work for EMERGE was sort of in this small back part of the exhibit. It was very crowded. I only saw two people I recognized there, Lauren from class and Rene from GAUGE. I said a quick hello to both of them. Rene was actually the person to tell me that the political exhibition was not a part of EMERGE. If he hadn’t told me that, I would have thought they were one in the same.

There was a variety of amazing work displayed from posters, photographs, booklets, a beer bottle display, music sleeves, letterheads and so on. One of the works that really caught my attention was a large scale piece where it had several images of women. Some of the woman’s portraits were made solely out of typography and the whole work was displayed in several pieces and was hung by wire or string. The work was in a way displayed in layers. Some pieces were a clear plastic plaque with text etched on it and it lay in a front of a portrait of a woman. They consisted of stories of women and the bad experiences they’ve had like rape or an abortion. It was very expressive.

All in all, I am glad I attended because I got to see a lot of great work. It really gave me an idea on how vast graphic design can be. Here are a few pictures I took while at the exhibition. 

From EMERGE:










From American Icons – Graphics of Patriotism & Dissent:


 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment