Thursday, March 31, 2011

Know Your Process (3/30/11)

When working on any project, there needs to be a process. Everyone’s process is different. We all have our own way of how we work to achieve our goals. What we should do is be aware of our process. Once we are aware of it, we should also be aware of our problems with our process. When we know our problems, we can work to fix them by adding little changes here and there to develop a better process. Going back to working on a project, how do you begin to work on it? First, is to come up with an idea. This first step is where I have the most difficulty with. I always hate the starting point because I always seem to get stuck. It takes me a while to come up with an initial idea and to brainstorm it. But once I finalize my idea and start working on it, I am able to work more efficiently in executing my project. But I have never been aware of my process. I just go with the flow of my work, never stopping to analyze it or ask myself, “how did I come to complete by project this way?” Professor Moss brought up a good point in class. We should be rational when working on our projects. He knows the problem for most of us is our starting point and the consequence is that we “have less time to develop our project and don’t really finish in the time frame it needs to be done.” So when we are aware of our problem, we can be rational and know that our project isn’t going to be perfect so when we go to turn it in, we know that we did our best on it. So how do you know what process works best? We haven’t quite gotten to that point in class yet but the answer to that will be reached by the end of this quarter as it will pertain to our final project, coming up with our own personal creative process.

A fun activity we did in glass was Professor Moss went around to each student in class and had us finish the sentence that began with “What if…?” Some of the questions that stuck out were, “what if we could time travel?” I thought this was funny because Professor Moss said we can time travel. This technically can happen when we travel from one time zone to another. Another question was, “what if the internet didn’t exist?” I personally cannot imagine this. I may not be on the internet all the time but it is such a helpful and useful tool to have and it can be fun and entertaining all at once. One of the other questions that I remembered was, “what if we could fly?” This question was one of the most interesting questions because in our history, people too came up with this same question and they challenged it. Because they challenged it, they came up with ideas on how humans could fly. With many trials and errors, this idea produced the creation of the airplane. This brings me back to how important ideas and concepts really are. So by challenging certain questions that begin with “what if?” we can see what possibilities can develop from them. As Professor Moss said in class, “think big.”

No comments:

Post a Comment